Monday, June 22, 2009

Oodles of Fabric Goodness

Dateline Los Angeles-

I’ll answer your question right now…no famous people on my flight today. I swear though there was one guy that looked a whole lot like “Benny” from L.A. Law, but I don’t think it was him. The hair was all wrong.

But what I really want to write about is FABRIC! What else? I get very excited when I receive an especially large shipment, even if I’ve already seen the fabric in person. But this was even more fun than that because I ordered some things I hadn’t yet seen with my own eyes. I know we’ve all had the experience of ordering online, only to be completely disappointed with the colors when the yardage shows up on our doorstop. Gladly, this was not to be.



I am trying to put together my line for the fall, and it isn’t coming as easy as the Spring/Summer collection. I think it’s because summer has barely started, and I’m trying to use more somber colors and richer jewel tones. Ordinarily I have no problems with color saturation, but the fabrics that I’m dying to use are not exactly ‘kid fare’.





Two of the fabrics I am working with are from Kaffe Fassett. I seriously have a weak spot for his fabrics, but they are a little tricky sometimes. The two I’m talking about are the bubble bloom colorways of dusk and teal. I am deeply in love, and yet I have “designer’s block.” I think if I just sit with them for awhile, and ponder the possibilities, something fabulous will come…



Meanwhile, Etsuko Furuya’s new fabrics are on their way, and you may have already seen my preview on flickr. I decided to do a reversible asymmetric with her fabrics, coupled with some new Alexander Henry on the reverse. I love the heavier weight of Etsuko’s fabrics for the fall. Just throw on a turtleneck and some leggings, and you’re set.



Finally, I am completely inspired by the brown and gold polka dot from Anna Maria Horner. It’s not new, but it’s new to me, and I am smitten. I’m thinking it’s going to be a great accent for some new designs I have percolating in my brain.

Being the tactile/sight driven person that I am, I have to see a fabric first before I know what I want to do with it. There are so many possibilities (and so little time!), but having these in hand is making it much easier to figure out what to do with them. Happy designing!

~Melissa

2 comments:

Melissa said...

That's good stuff, I tell you. I like that polka dot esp., too. And I have a nice fat stack of that Fortune sitting on my shelf, as well. I think that might be my fave for the season... or maybe the new Valorie Wells. Or Laura Gunn's new stuff. Picking a favorite fabric is hard!

Cathy said...

I completely understand what you mean...I ordered a set of 5 fabrics and I wasnt sure what to do with them for several months. One day it hit me....I made 5 flouncy skirts for my girls and got some matching fabric for tops to match and mix. I just love dots!!! Very pretty!