Monday, January 26, 2009

Value Added...

For my collection this spring, I have thought long and hard about how to add value to my line. How to turn this whole CPSIA mess on its head, and really make my collection stand out from the crowd. If I have to test my units, and ultimately pass that on to my customer, how can I make it worth it to them (you?) to pay a little higher price? Reversible styles have been popular for a long time, and with good reason. They are practical, stylish, and economical. You get two for the price of one, and maybe even more. How you ask? Read on...



My new reversible "pink floating flowers" jumper is the answer (or at least one of them). Believe it or not, this dress is a size 2T. My daughter now wears a size 5! So, let's say your daughter is in a size 2 right now. Perfect! She can wear this dress (remember, it's reversible) for the entire spring and summer, and even through the fall with a turtleneck underneath. Then, next year when she's a little taller, she can use it as a top with some cute capris or shorts! I detailed this dress with a sweetheart neckline and a little bit of piping at the neck for detail. The back features a keyhole opening for easy on and off, and the underarm is elasticized. Not only will there not be any gaping at the armhole, but it also allows for growing room. I also set off the hemline with some pink rickrack.

The capris are also part of my collection and coordinate with a ton of new designs. I've yet to produce everything, but they are all sketched out just waiting for a day of sewing (I swear I need 24 more hours in each day just to accomplish everything).



The reverse of the dress is sweetness personified. I LOVE bold color, but sometimes a bit softer is nice too. This print is modern but not too flashy. Oh, and in case you hadn't already guessed? Yes, my deliberate child decided that she needed "bangs" again!! We were SO close to having her tresses all one length, but as she rarely keeps ties in her hair, her longer bangs were in her face much of the time. Solution? When Mommy is down ironing a skirt to wear, I will take my new snub-noses and cut off 7 or so inches of hair around my face. I know, I know, it's a rite of passage, but it did nearly bring me to tears...but I digress.

This is only one of several reversible styles I'll be adding, so keep checking. I don't think I'll have everything in my shop February 10th, but it should all be there by March (fingers crossed).

2 comments:

LB Accessories said...

Hi Melissa,
Wow, I can't wait to see your new line when it's complete. Those pics look wonderful so far!
As for the hair cutting incident I had to chuckle, I had a similar experience (except my husband deliberately cut my sons hair, himself, oh the poor boy!) I was pretty much in tears.

I also wanted to let you know that you've been tagged, if you'd like to participate and need more info please read my blog post. Thanks!

bananaicecream said...

Beautiful outfit. It's unfortunate about the whole cspia thing