Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Update on Buttons, There is Still Hope!

I just had a most interesting communication from my button supplier. It seems as though I may have been hasty in my assessment of the lead content in their plastic buttons, which seemed dubious from my standpoint anyway. Looking at the buttons in question it just seems improbable that they contained any lead.

So, they basically told me that any button that is shiny or glittery, and is tested with an XRF gun may give a false positive. I don't understand why this is, but they said that the reflection may cause a lead reading. Most of the buttons I purchase are made in Europe, and they have even stricter standards than the CPSIA. Now granted, the buttons are not intended for children, but I'm pretty sure that the European standards don't allow leeway for any product. Even though it isn't allowed as part of a "reasonable testing program" I will soon be getting the certifications from my supplier regarding their plastic buttons. They stated, unequivocally, that the buttons contained neither lead nor phthalates. Yeah!

Now we just have to get Congress to amend their silly law to allow for manufacturer/supplier certs...back to the drawing board...

No comments: